Monday 14 November 2011

A slight change in writing method

I realise lately that I've changed my approach for my entry into writing. True, I still work on a lot of background, and I know the basic bone structure of the novel, but... where I sit now, I have gaps that have been left without planning. I only know that this is the first "act" if you will for a much larger canvas.

My usual plan is to create a break sheet: a complete run through, point by point and blow by blow of the story. That usually runs through at least 10 or 15 pages of numbered points (with numbers denoting scenes despite this being a novel)

I think very visually. I have to play even a short story through the mind as a movie. So i've played the first act of this story, each scene, each setup and each moment as a film multiple times before setting to write it. I know that when I get through this first "third", the next two thirds are going to be a riot leading to a conclusion that I've already written.

I've written the ending before I had even thought about the beginning. Granted this story explores two generations of characters. For anybody who has read Robert Riley, this is the story of the man behind his secret journal: Jiri Ivanov, going through a lifetime that brought him to his alternate realm between life and death.

It's fiction. That's where I go everytime my mind takes a break from life. I love it. I hope my changing of methodology (writing without planning) actually works out. If it doesn't... well, no big deal. I can fix it in the rewrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment