Tuesday 8 November 2011

You either love it or hate it: Jazz

I think I figured out why I love jazz. With any other song with the definate structure, the music comes straight to you. There's no need to go anywhere, it's with you. Especially with freeform, you have to chase it and that for me is where it becomes enjoyable. The unknown exploration of sound, rhythm and movement that you just can't predict. You can't run circles around it, it just keeps on going outward. You're either willing to chase it or you're not. Also, it is not about catching up with it. It's about running along with it until it dissapears, leaving you ready to chase it again.


For Freeform improvised Jazz, check out Denny Zeitlin

1 comment:

  1. Jazz for myself as a musician is most certainly about the chase. I have played songs like Watermelon Man or cry me a river hundreds of times but never played them the same way twice. That to me that is the essence of Jazz. 4 guys together with a basic premise of a tune and lets see where we end up. I enjoy surrounding myself with musicians who are better than me and try and keep up, or rather, chase them down.
    Even the wrong notes can be the best past in a jazz improv. It sends you somewhere unexpected.

    ReplyDelete